Throughout this learning experience I learned about the importance of digital equity and was taught how unaware the digital community is regarding the concept of equity. When reading the personal blog regarding “Digital Redlining, Access and Privacy,” I was exposed to the existence of revenge porn and the fact that people are unaware of its existence due to the filtering of the internet. It seems as though viewers of the internet do not even have the choice to filter their searches since some topics have universally been filtered and therefore promoting ignorance towards the topic. According to the article, she has been redlined based off of the search engine controlled by the IT policy of the institution she is in. This makes me realize that what kind of IT policies are we exposed to and what kind of information restrictions are we experiencing that we are not even aware of. This article was very helpful because it brought up an issue that I was not informed about and now I have been exposed to a real-life instance that I could connect to as a student and a person who uses the internet to educate myself on certain topics.
- Three most important things you learned in the course
I believe the three most important things I learned in this course was the ability to listen and respect people’s views, as their experiences in life lead to their reasoning, thus resulting in their opinion. The second thing I learnt was the ability to communicate in a certain manner is key to the development of a relationship with someone you meet for the first time, respecting their views and having an honest discussion enhances the relationship. Finally, the third most important thing I learned is how many different topics interlink with each other, and how we should approach various aspects of life with a wider scope.
- What helped you learn them?
I believe the constant class discussions led me to realize and understand all these main points. The way Dr. Bali allowed each student to express their own opinion and encouraged honesty within the class really helped each student feel comfortable in sharing what they really thought. Furthermore, I felt as though splitting up in to groups to undergo reading and debates were helpful for to get comfortable and familiar with our peers.
- How the course can be improved in future iterations – what should be added, removed, or changed?
In terms of how the course can be improved for the future, I believe for myself it would be easier to have proper essays due in, rather than blogposts, as I feel as though consistency is not a strong element I possess.
The use of Soliya was a different method of meeting new people from around the world, where we were able to discuss topics we chose. The topics we chosen in order to see the diversity among our peers from different regions and how they were viewed. Topics such as immigration, freedom of speech and culture diversity were discussed, and I believe through these discussions we were able to learn and understand each other’s perspectives.
The communication on Soliya is different other online communication platforms due to its ability to have people speak at their own time by pressing the button labeled “Speak” rather than have people talking over each other, which would’ve been more difficult due to the number of people taking part. A platform such as Skype does not feature that option. Soliya allows for a more diplomatic conversation, as each one gets to speak without being interrupted, therefore we are able to hear and understand each individual’s perception on a certain topic.
Using Soliya I was able to learn a lot about myself as a communicator in the digital world. I was able to realize that I’m a rather shy character, however on a platform such as Soliya I was able to express myself more than I would in person. When communicating online I feel like I could be more honest and open with my peers, because to reach a level of comfort where I’m ready to share my honest opinion takes a lot more time in person then it does online. When discussing my opinion online, I feel as though as I am protected my screen, which enables me to have the confidence to share my opinion.
Encouraging others to contribute in face to face conversations about topics we discussed could be more difficult to control, as some people may be stubborn in terms of their opinion and therefore may react defensively. However, encouraging them to use online platforms is fairly simple, due to level of respect you give to someone you first meet, as well as encouraging people who took part in Soliya to discuss their experience with the platform and their chance of meeting new people.
In this video, Damaso Reyes aims to show ways how one can spot fake news. It begins by showing many fake news stories that have spread worldwide. He then begins by discussing the first aspect in how one can spot fake news, which is where the information comes from. Many sites that publish fake news use similar URL that is owned by a credible news organization to trick the viewers. Another factor that helps indicate fake news is whether the headline seems neutral or not. If the headline manages to trigger some kind of emotion inside of you then it may be a sign of fake news. Another important aspect that can help indicate fake news is the author of the story. Knowing the history of the author and other stories he has published will help one a lot in deciding whether or not the news is real. Looking at the article’s sources is also important to understand where one gets their information from. Lastly, one should think critically if the visuals are believable. Many fake news sites take previous photos of news that have happened years ago and publish it with new fake news that can trick people into thinking that its true.
Being spread easily, fake news has become one of todays most discussed issues. A significant reason why people make up fake news is due to political purposes. However, many people may believe fake news if it fits their opinion. Twitter, Facebook and other social media applications help the spread of fake news. This is due to the fact that people are free to publish whatever they please. Others use fake news to attract viewers to their websites. This is through misleading headlines that may interest people in order to generate online advertising revenue. Fortunately, after many attempts of spreading fake news, sources could lose their credibility. A well-known figure who’s known for spreading fake news is Donald Trump. To recognize fake news, people must consider many things. For starters one should look for evidence that support the news as well as get to know the credibility of the source that published the story and many other factors that could help identify fake news.
Two games are provided to help explain the concept of fake news.
The first game is called “Fake it to Make it”. The game aims to show how creating sites with fake news could be profitable due to the number of viewers one will receive. It also shows that getting viewers from the United States are most profitable. However, this game explains that in order to gain the people’s trust, one must first begin by being credible.
Another game was provided which is entitled “Bad News”, which aims to show people how one can spread fake news. In this game, they are using Twitter, showing that through Twitter fake news spread in seconds. This game also focuses on gaining credibility in order for people to have trust in you. In this game, they gain credibility through identity fraud, by creating a fake official Twitter account. Also while creating fake news it must be somewhat believable.
- My game was created to put an individual in a scenario where they are a managing partner of a law firm. The law firm is backed by many different investors and expect you to begin to make returns. You are given options to pick from in order to make money for your firm. However, there are some cases that appeal to your emotional side. The idea of the game was inspired by a TV show called “Suits” which follows two lawyers that have different mentalities when approaching cases. This made me wonder what I would do, so I decided to create a game to know what you would when put in that scenario.
- Since my first draft of the game I corrected a few of my sentences in order to make the information more straightforward. However, the biggest change I added was including a feature to continue working other cases if you are safe or thriving. I also included a chance for the users to try again if they reach game over. I did this in order to provide another opportunity for the user, in case they thought of another way they would approach the task.
- If I had more time to develop the game, I would have included a meter measuring how safe the player is when coming to pick which case they want, as their job security may influence a person’s decision. I took this idea from another game called “Fake News,” which has a meter showing you newspaper credibility. Also, if I was given more time, I would have developed more scenarios and expanded on the current scenarios, by giving more details and more unexpected event in the cases.
- The most important thing I’ve learnt while creating this game is how you need to move your emotions to one side when linking it to work, as I feel that if you let your emotions make decisions for you, you could end up unemployed. Helping out other before helping out yourself may hinder your progress. In terms of the development of the game, I feel that creating this game helped me understand how specific I need to be when giving instructions, in order make it easy for others to follow.